3/1/18

FUN FACT: Did you know that Amandla Stenberg walked away from doing Black Panther due her skin tone? πŸ˜₯ πŸ‘Š


Did you know that Amandla Stenberg walked away from doing Black Panther due her skin tone?πŸ˜₯πŸ‘Š
Young rising Hollywood actress Amandla Stenberg has made her mark in Hollywood already. But did you know she walked away from a part in Black Panther
During an interview she did  at  TIFF Next Wave Festival. She spoke on this and many other subjects as well.
She said Diversity in Hollywood is a big topic. Another related issue is that of shadeism/colourism, and as some pop culture critics have recently noted, when there are roles for younger, Black women, it's biracial actresses and/or women with a lighter skin tone who are cast.

Stenberg is biracial, and she was asked how she balanced the importance of taking up space within the context of the conversation. She shared that it's something she has thought a lot about, and it led to her pulling out of one of the biggest movies this year.

"One of the most challenging things for me to do was to walk away from Black Panther. I got really, really close and they were like, 'do you want to continue fighting for this?' And I was like, this isn't right."

"These are all dark skin actors playing Africans and I feel like it would have just been off to see m as a bi-racial American with a Nigerian accent just pretending that I'm the same color as everyone else in the movie."

"That was really challenging, to make that decision, but I have no regrets. I recognize 100 per cent that there are spaces that I should not take up and when I do take up a space it's because I've thought really, really critically about it and I've consulted people I really trust and it feels right."

Well that’s Understandable! Still Loves Her! 😻

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers